‘One Dark’ Theme For TextMate

After over a year using Atom and putting up with its high resource usage and inability to open large files I’ve switched back to TextMate – it’s fast, stable and doesn’t kill my battery (even if it is missing some of the niceties of Atom).

However, after the switch I started missing the ‘One Dark’ theme from Atom, I find it to be far better than anything TextMate includes nowadays (even my old favourite ‘Blackboard’) so I created a very basic port.

The port includes both standard and ‘bright’ versions (previews below). If you’re interested you can get it as a TextMate bundle from GitHub: https://github.com/digitalpardoe/One-Dark.tmbundle.

Open Sourcing A Few Projects

I’ve finally gotten around to it, writing another blog post, almost one year since the last post containing any meaningful content. Rather than apologising for the hiatus and promising to blog more I will instead move on to something more interesting.

Last year I took the decision to open source two of my main projects, iSyncIt and Set Icon. I didn’t make a big deal about doing it, in fact, I didn’t make any ‘deal’ at all, I just set the GitHub repos to ‘public’. Consider this the (6 months late) announcement of their open sourcing.

The iSyncIt repository contains almost the complete history of iSyncIt development. Unfortunately I started development of iSyncIt before I discovered version control and as a result some of the history is only available as source code bundles in the downloads area.

Fortunately Set Icon development started after I had discovered the advantages of version control so its full development history can be seen in the GitHub repository.

Both of the projects have a fairly non-restrictive license, you can read it in either repository. The downloads section on GitHub for both projects also contains all of the versions of the applications I have ever publicly released.

Now for something a little more current.

This afternoon I flicked the switch that open sourced my final-year university project, Chroma32 (under the same license as the other two). The original idea was to create a (dissertation-grand sounding) ‘photographic asset management system’, the scope eventually morphed into creating a document management system that was as extensible as possible.

The whole project was built around alpha & beta versions of Rails 3 and the alpha-version gems that go along with it. Overall I ended up with a themeable system with reasonably tight integration for complex plugins.

If you want to discover more, clone a copy from its GitHub repo and hack away.

Check back soon, go on, it might actually be worth it from now on. I promise.

Software Updates

I’ve finally gotten round to updating iSyncIt and Set Icon for Snow Leopard, as always you can download iSyncIt here and Set Icon here.

The new release of iSyncIt fixes the only bug I could find under Snow Leopard – the icon not changing correctly under bluetooth on / off conditions.

The Set Icon release fixes the problem of the application not performing its one and only function – setting a drive icon. Along with the bug fix I modified the image conversion to prevent the (frankly awful) stretching of non-square images to fill a 512×512 icon, images now scale nicely. I also removed the terrible tool-tips that show up when you start the application I used to think they were ‘cool’ but soon realised the error of my ways. However, in place of this I added some ‘brilliant’ window resizing when you remove an icon – we’ll see how long that lasts. Oh, the application will also run as a 64 bit application now – not that that makes any difference what-so-ever, I just did it because I could.

Check back soon.

Updates, Updates, Updates

Again, it has been quite a while since my last post (almost a month in fact) and quite a lot has happened since then. Any regular visitors to the website will have noticed the new theme, the website maintains the new layout released a couple of months ago but the colour scheme has changed to something a bit more minimal. Along with the new theme I have re-introduced some small adverts to the bottom of pages and modified the URL of the blog feed to allow tracking through FeedBurner.

The other main updates to the website are the introduction of My Book Icons 0.8 and My Passport Icons 0.3. The My Book Icons update includes a new icon for the Western Digital My Book Studio II drive. Both of the icon sets now include icons in Windows ICO format and Linux PNG format. On the Mac side of the icon sets, after popular demand, I have added copy & pasteable icons to allow setting of icons using the “Get Info” window in Finder.

You can download My Book Icons here and My Passport Icons here

That’s all for now, check back soon.

My Passport Icons

By popular demand, but a little late, I have released a set of icons to represent the Western Digital My Passport range of external hard drives, this release was driven primarily by requests that I have received and the fact that I have just purchased a WD My Passport drive myself.

For now the release contains only two icons, they are for the red and black “Essential” variants of the My Passport drive. I will be releasing icons for the remaining drives shortly so if you don’t have one of the two drives included keep checking the website.

You can download the icons here.

I will be writing a post shortly to explain why my presence has been lacking recently and why releases are so slow in coming too, so, check back soon.